Marussia announce Bianchi to race for team in 2013

After missing out on the Force India seat Jules Bianchi will still race in F1 in 2013 after signing a contract with Marussia.

The team announced on Friday evening that the Frenchman would be joining Marussia for the season after the termination of Luiz Razia’s contract.

The 23 year old Frenchman will test on for the final two days of the pre-season test in Barcelona.

Team principal John Booth siad: “We are very pleased to welcome Jules Bianchi to the Marussia F1 Team. Jules is a proven talent who is highly regarded within the Paddock.

“He has been on a clear trajectory towards Formula 1 and has achieved some impressive performances through the various feeder formulae, notably his 2012 season in Formula Renault 3.5 when he was also Reserve Driver for Force India.”

Booth said the team had found itself in the situation where it had to terminate Razia’s contract.

Bianchi said: “I am thrilled to have secured a race seat with the Marussia F1 Team.

“Racing in Formula 1 this season has been my goal over the winter and after evaluating a number of options I am very excited to have this opportunity to demonstrate that I am ready for this next step in my racing career.”

Bianchi thanked Ferrari for their help and support however no mention was made of Force India whom he was test and reserve driver for last year.

Bianchi joins British driver Max Chilton at the team.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s